Cookies and IP Addresses
- so that you don’t have to reenter information on action, donate, or payment pages,
- for tracking traffic so that we can evaluate and improve the website, and
- to facilitate outreach based on visitors’ interests.
For systems administration and troubleshooting, we log the IP address (the location on the Internet) of the computer or network from which someone visits the website. We also use IP addresses in the aggregate to track traffic so that we can evaluate and improve the website.
If, while on the forourcommunities.org website, you click on links to other websites, you will leave forourcommunities.org. To find out how those other websites treat the data they collect, see their respective online privacy policies.
Information You Submit Directly
Some pages on our website invite you to share personally identifying information, such as your name, address, email address, telephone number, payment information (to complete a transaction), or other information. You may choose to share this information to enable you to make a donation, join our email list, sign a petition, register for an event, or participate in other activities through our website.
If you choose to provide personally identifying information, we may store that information and use it to contact you about our work.
Except as outlined below, we do not disclose to outside entities any information provided by people who visit or interact with the website.
Certain pages on our websites invite visitors to take action — such as signing a petition, registering for an event, sending a message, or participating in other online activities. We may disclose the information you enter on an action page in the following circumstances:
- If you sign a petition, your name and state may be included in an electronic file or hard-copy printout delivered to legislators or other policymakers.
- If you take an action that generates a communication to an outside entity (such as emailing a member of Congress or other policymaker, submitting a comment to a government agency, or sending a letter-to-the-editor), the information you enter on the action page may be passed along to that outside entity.
- We may offer to connect action-takers to other activists or volunteer organizers. Before doing so, we will notify you by email with an option to decline.
- We may give consultants and organizations working with us on specific projects temporary access to information about our online action-takers. They will not contact you and will not retain the information after the project is complete.
- From time to time, we may partner with another organization to promote one of our online actions to supporters of that organization. In those instances, we may share with that organization the information you entered on an action page. When we do that, we will give you a heads up by noting on the action page that the information may be shared with the other organization.
- We may share information about action-takers with organizations that we think may interest our action-takers. If you prefer that we not include your information for sharing in this manner, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Allow up to 30 days for your information to be removed.)
- We may also disclose your data if required to do so by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, court order, or government reporting obligation.
Once you take action, we will send you emails about our work. To stop receiving emails, please unsubscribe.
For Our Communities takes steps to protect information collected online from unauthorized access and improper use. Personally identifiable information, such as your name and address, is stored on secure servers. Public Citizen’s network is protected at the perimeter by firewalls that include intrusion detection and prevention capabilities, and all servers and workstations have centrally managed antivirus software. Servers and workstations are patched regularly and monitored for signs of suspicious activity. Data transmitted to and from our website are encrypted.
Our website is not intended for children under age 13, and we do not knowingly collect information from children under age 13. If we become aware that we have collected any personal information from children under 13, we will promptly delete that information. If you believe that we might have personal information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com
Updates to this Policy